Thursday, April 9, 2015

Review: The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

source: Goodreads
My rating: 5/5 stars
Original language: English
Series: (It's part of the Hamilton High, but it's not really a series)
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance, High School
Published: September 7th 2010 by Poppy
Pages: 320


Source: Received via Netgalley/purchased (It happened at kind of the same time)


Summary (from Goodreads)
Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face. 

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.
My Thoughts
When I first saw The Duff in a bookstore when we were in the UK I did not like it. I really did not. I mean, the reason I wanted it is pretty obvious: Every booktuber has it. Most book bloggers have it. If so many people have it, it has to be pretty good. But I did not like it, so I did not buy it.
But then I read that it’s going to be a movie and I thought about reading it. Then came the trailers: The trailers were pretty amazing. So I was super-hyped for The DUFF as a movie and when I saw it in a bookstore – guess what happened.

Well, I fell in love with this book. I love the writing, it’s so teen-like. Since Kody Keplinger wrote this at the age of 17. By the way: You have my full respect, Miss Keplinger. Writing a book with only 17 years is amazing. And, okay, the language is pretty explicit in some scenes, but honestly: No one talks like they’re giving a speech all the time.

All of the characters are cool: Bianca, Wesley, Bianca’s friends. But some characters, like Toby were just a bit... flat. He was supposed to be the nice guy, patient and understanding. But that somehow made him seem a bit soulless. There was not much more to him than patient and understanding.
But concerning other characters: Can someone please give me a hint, who the “mean girl” from the movie is supposed to be? I couldn’t really find someone actually mean. A lot of them were stupid, that’s true. But mean? Nahh.

I loved the ending, but I have to admit: It was too quick. Everything changed so fast and then it was just over. It’s just not fair! But luckily we have Lying Out Loud, where we hopefully can expect a bit more information on how everything went on, since Amy is Wesley’s sister.

PS: I hope there will finally be a movie release date for Germany! The DUFF is kind of unknown here. Not good. Not at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment