Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

source: Goodreads
My rating: 4/5 stars
Original language: English
Series: Throne of Glass #1
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance, Historical
Published: August 2012 by Bloomsbury USA
Pages: 432
Source: purchased

After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin. Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for three years and then be granted her freedom. 

Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilirating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best. 

Then one of the other contestants turns up dead... quickly followed by another. 

Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined
(source: Goodreads)

My Thoughts

*Speaks in very noble British * May I present you: The book that got me obsessed with High Fantasy again! It is compelling, it is funny and it simply is one of the best Young Adult Fantasy series. I just loved this book, but I have to admit that there actually were a few things that (How else could it be) annoyed/irritated me.

Well, most of the the characters have fantastic names: Celaena, Chaol and Nehemia (Dorian doesn’t sound as fancy as the others). But the characters themselves.... I don’t know, but they all seemed to have a little hau (German phrase for ‘they are a little crazy’), for example Chaol. There were definitely more than three times when all he thought about was Celaena’s smell (In a negative way). But the thing is, I can’t imagine him at all. I know that he is muscular and apparently he has incredible brown eyes and that’s it. Anyway, I like Chaol.
His best friend Dorian the prince? Uhh, not so much. He was kind of stupid in my opinion and he acted unreasonably. Apparently he is ‘beautiful’...
Then there is Nehemia, a princess from another country who is at the palace to learn the other language. I am really unsure how to feel about her. She is always acting for the sake of her people and you can never be sure whether she is ‘good’ or ‘bad’.
Celaena herself is always presented as oh-so tough and badass, but to me she was quite whiny. She couldn’t stop complaining about everything and I’m not saying I wouldn’t, but I never said I was a badass in the first place. But she develops and starts caring about other people than herself and opens up to others again.

I think I remember flying through this book (Yes, remember, I don’t know anymore because I read it at the beginning of December) and even if not: It sure felt like flying through it. Most of the time the pace was just perfect, but some scenes in the middle where Celaena is training and it goes oooon and oooon. But some other scenes made me completely forget I was reading and still standing in my room wearing my boots and a coat.

Another thing that made reading Throne of Glass easy was the language: It wasn’t ‘old’ language but rather modern. Which definitely irritated me, but I read the book for the story so it’s not much of a big thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment