Monday, March 30, 2015

Review: This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki / Jillian Tamaki

Source: Goodreads
My rating: 4/5 stars
Original language: English
Series: -
Genre: Graphic Novel, Middle Grade, Young Adult, Contemporary, Family
Published: May 2014 by First Second
Pages: 319 pages (paperback)
Source: purchased

Links: Goodreads - Amazon - First Second

Summary (from Goodreads)
Every summer, Rose goes with her mom and dad to a lake house in Awago Beach. It's their getaway, their refuge. Rosie's friend Windy is always there, too, like the little sister she never had. But this summer is different. Rose's mom and dad won't stop fighting, and when Rose and Windy seek a distraction from the drama, they find themselves with a whole new set of problems. It's a summer of secrets and sorrow and growing up, and it's a good thing Rose and Windy have each other.


My Thoughts

This One Summer is an insanely gorgeous book. That’s part of why I bought it, even though I’m still supposed to be on my book buying ban. I mean, come on: the whole book is in dark blue/purple. It is so f*cking beautiful I could cry! So I’m very grateful for the authors turning it purple/blue, because it was black in the beginning. The other part was the back, where Stephanie Perkins said something about the book. Yup, you can always get me with Stephanie Perkins.

Basically, this is about the feeling of summer. Rose and her family have been going to Awago beach for ages and so has Windy, Rose’s summer friend who is one and a half years younger than her. Windy is adopted and always spends her summer holiday with her grandmother.
The thing about this story that reminded me most of summer was actually not the story itself but rather how you fly through the story and don’t even notice it and then wonder where the story has gone, even though you thought “What a big book, surely it’ll take me a bit of time.”. This really reminds me of summer and how the holiday are gone so fast even when they seemed endless in the beginning.
Also, the colours are perfect for summer. It’s like a soft breeze at the ocean, very calm and refreshing.

As for the plot... I don’t know. I mean, I flew through the book, but it didn’t feel like there was a big turn in the story and when the big secret got revealed I didn’t really care. This might sound horrible, but it is true. To be honest, the lack of plot is perfectly fine for me. It is a bit like summer holiday: There is not much of a change and you lose sight of some events and then you forget them at some point.
And I still continued reading, because of the beautiful artwork and because ‘lack of plot’ still doesn’t mean it’s boring.

The characters in this graphic novel were really cool to. They were honest (Most of the time) and still as imperfect as real people: They were moody, angry, annoyed, annoying, happy and scared. They did not feel artificial at all.

The art in the book certainly deserves five stars and the story deserves four stars, because even though there are no big turns it is still funny and interesting and a very quick read. I’m pretty sure I will reread this not just once.

Also: Jillian Tamaki’s graphic novel Super Mutant Magic Academy is coming out this year! I’m so excited!
And one last thing: The author and the illustrator Jillian and Mariko are cousins and have already written another young adult graphic novel together (Skim)

No comments:

Post a Comment