Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Review: Love Hurts by Malorie Blackman a.o.

(Cover: Goodreads)
My rating: 4/5 stars
Original language: English
Series: -
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance, Anthologies, Drama
Published: January 29th 2015 by Corgi Children's 
Pages: 576 (ebook)
Source: I received an ecopy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review


Malorie Blackman brings together the best teen writers of today in a stunningly romantic collection about love against the odds. Featuring short stories and extracts about modern star-crossed lovers from stars such as Gayle Forman, Markus Zusak and Patrick Ness, and with a brand-new story from Malorie Blackman herself, Love Hurts looks at every kind of relationship, from first kiss to final heartbreak.
(source: Goodreads)


My Thoughts

I have to admit, when I reqested this I didn’t have a single clue what it was about. But, well, the cover was pretty and I have a thing for pretty books, so I was already pretty sure this was going to end up in my shelf as a physical copy.

Until now I haven’t read many anthologies, more precisely: I haven’t read any anthologies at all. But I thought: “Well, it’s going to be good because you won’t get bored so easily because the stories will change every few pages.” Here’s the thing I noticed: short stories are quite long these days.

And the book itself was pretty long too: about 570 pages! I was really shocked and at first I didn’t want to read this at all, because – come on, 570 pages! But when I was halfway done with the first story I didn’t even notice how time passed and I just continued reading and suddenly, in a matter of three or four minutes it was the middle of the night.

But I have to admit, I didn’t read the extracts from novels that are already published. I plan on reading most of them anyway, or I have already read them, so I only read the stories that were actual short stories: seven out of 24. But I can tell you, these seven stories were great, because they were funny and diverse. Some of them dealt with LGBT-themes and a few of them also with disability.

And I know for sure that I will soon be reading Noughts & Crosses because, oh boy, Malorie Blackman’s writing style is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment