Thursday, February 5, 2015

Mini ARC Review: Patronella and the Janjilons by Cheryl Bentley

source:Goodreads
My rating: 2/5 stars
Original language: English
Series: Petronella #2
Genre: Middle Grade, Children's, Fantasy, Science Fiction
Published: February 18th 2015 by Sparkling Books Ltd.
Pages: 97 (ebook)
Source: I received an ecopy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

The Janjilons are not what they seem. They look like a type of monkey but they are really children. How did they turn into Janjilons? And could it happen to anyone?

Behind this mystery is someone evil, Judge Ormerod who wants to be the next Duke of Westshire. With the help of three weird sisters, he has to rid the land of clever children from being an obstacle to him. The Janjilons work for him as the three sisters mete out punishment and keep them locked up.

Petronella starts to look into these strange happenings. But time is running out because when the Judge no longer needs the Janjilons, they will be destroyed.

(source: Goodreads)

My Thoughts

I think if I had read this a few years ago I would have enjoyed it way more, which is why I was a bit sad when I finished the book. In my eyes it is meant to be read by children from eight to ten years old and does not belong in the category “young adult”.

I just felt that this was too absurd at times, I mean, there has to be a reason for some things, right? And the characters acted a bit too childish for their age – Not Betty or any of the other boys, rather the witches and the Judge.


The story was quite fast paced but mostly foreseeable and the language was mostly like this was a fairy tale or a myth, so personally I was left quite cold by it. I didn’t really care about any of the characters or what would happen to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment