Saturday, January 24, 2015

Review: The Blackwell Family Secret: Guardians of the Sin by Jonathan L. Ferrara

(graphic: Goodreads)
My rating: 5/5 stars
Original language: English
Series: (I don't know)
Genre: Young Adult, Middle Grade, Fantasy (Urban Fantasy), Religious
Published: December 5th 2014 by Dragonwell Publishing
Pages: 230 (ebook)
Source: I received an ecopy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review


Nicholas Blackwell has no idea he is supposed to fulfill a destiny. All he knows is that he draws trouble like a magnet. Orphaned at seven when two demonic men killed his parents, he copes with the strict rules of his new home, St. Christopher’s academy, unaware that he has been the real target for the killers and that his guardian angel has saved him in the nick of time. And now, his problems are only beginning when a mysterious serpent lures him into the woods and tricks him into a demonic ritual that will unleash the Seven Deadly Sins to destroy the humankind. Nicholas has no choice but to correct his mistake--or die trying.

Aided by Amy, a shy but determined girl who seems to know more about his task than she should, Nicholas's quest is to travel into the City of Demonio and defeat the Seven Guardians of Sin. To succeed, he must confront demons, monsters, and lost souls, learn the mysteries of the Chapel of Dreams, discover the true meaning of friendship and love, and face the darkest secret of all: the Blackwell Family Secret.
 (summary : Goodreads)


My Thoughts

At first I expected this to be kind of similar to The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman and even though I haven't read The Graveyard Book yet, I don't think they are actually similar. Don't ask me why I thought that, I have no idea.

The whole story is actually a backflip telling how he ended up having to face pure evil. It begins with a flashback in the flashback of Christmas Eve when he was seven years old, the night his parents were murdered. In the beginning that chapter had the radiation of a Christmas carol. It was really beautiful and sad and I couldn’t help but love the characters at first sight.

Now, nine years later, he is at a Catholic academy in the south of England. I was not sure what to think of the religious aspect at first, because I’m not religious myself, but I soon stopped worrying about that aspect because it definitely didn’t play the main role in the story – Sure, it was important, but it was not hard to understand for people who are not that familiar with religion.

The Great Serpent leads Nicholas into a trap and he has to fight the seven sins in the Demon City, called Demonio. Believe me – This Demonio is great! You get out of the elevator down there and are welcomed by a bookshop.

This book was also very funny, sometimes in a dark way, for example there’s the scene where Nicholas’s parents are murdered and there was a detailed explanation on how one of their murderers ate cookies all the time.

I actually kind of flew through this book – It was so fast paced and full of adventure and prophecies, a little drama and a cute little romance.


So: would I recommend it? YES. YES. YES.

No comments:

Post a Comment