Tuesday, January 13, 2015

ARC Review: Across the Bridge of Ice by Ruth Fox

(picture: Goodreads)
My rating: 3.5/5 stars
Original language:  English
Series: The Bridges Trilogy #2
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Paranormal
Published: January 31st 2015 by Hague Publishing
Pages: 173 (ebook)
Source: I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

In 'The City of Silver Light', Keira Leichman spent the night lost in a wild snowstorm that struck Cassidy Heights. But what really happened that night? Not even Keira can be sure. What she does know is that she's been having strange dreams since the accident, and now she's stuck with a broken ankle and the possibility of never playing soccer again. That is, until she finds Jake's telescope, and is drawn across the Bridge of Ice to Shar.
Now Keira is marooned in the City of Silver Light with Daniel, Jake’s younger brother, with no way to get home. But that is the least of their worries, for the secrets they discover in Shar are more dangerous than Kiera could ever have imagined. And the fate of both their worlds are in their hands.
(source: Goodreads)

My Thoughts

The first thing I have to say, is that this book is very short for it has only 173 pages, so I didn't even expect good world building. Well, I was really surprised because the world building was actually pretty good.

The plot was actually good, but I think the story was meant to be really fast-paced although to me it just seemed long-winded in some scenes and a bit like someone telling you a story they just thought of (I’m sure that’s not the case, the world building showed me). The ending confused me a bit because most of the characters started doing things that didn’t do them any good, only to help others (Nothing against helping others, it was just kind of weird).

I love the names of the characters, like Archon, Keira and Cara (The last two sound similar) and they were interesting as well, but somehow I didn’t care about them at all. Maybe it is because they did some really stupid stuff and didn’t think about their actions enough. Also there could have been more focusing on Keira’s powers and her connection to them. Another good thing about these characters is that they were really honest most of the time.

The writing was not exactly my type but it wasn’t bad. It was just more informal and describing and the author seems to have put a lot of thought in this because some of the ideas were really brilliant and I could always picture the surrounding.


I also like the cover, but it makes you think that the book is more Middle Grade than Young Adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment