Thursday, December 11, 2014

Review: Trouble by Non Pratt

My rating: 4/5 stars
Original language:  English
Series: -
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance, Teen Pregnancy
Published: March 6th 2014 by Walkerbooks Ltd
Pages: 384 (Paperback)
Source: purchased
Want to buy: Amazon (German edition) - Amazon - Book Depository

Content: When the entire high school finds out that Hannah Shepard is pregnant via her ex-best friend, she has a full-on meltdown in her backyard. The one witness (besides the rest of the world): Aaron Tyler, a transfer student and the only boy who doesn’t seem to want to get into Hannah’s pants. Confused and scared, Hannah needs someone to be on her side. Wishing to make up for his own past mistakes, Aaron does the unthinkable and offers to pretend to be the father of Hannah’s unborn baby. Even more unbelievable, Hannah hears herself saying “yes.”
(source: Goodreads)


My Thoughts
I loved this book! It instantly became one of my favorite contemporary novels. Although it might actually be my least favorite to read in public space - The cover might suit the book perfectly, but I always tried to manage to sit in a way that hid both cover and title. 

The writing style of this book was okay to good. I can't really criticize it, but there's nothing really special about it - It was kind of funny, the descriptions were good and  the dialogue was great.
The book was from both Aaron’s and Hannah’s point of view, which was great, but sometimes so frustrating, because it switched when it just got really exciting, but I assume that’s what makes the reader so curious about their past (Even if the past is sometimes quite foreseeable).

In the beginning this book was a bit slow paced but then it got faster, up to the point where I thought it was too fast (When Katie and Hannah had that big fight). It was over so soon you couldn’t really get their emotions. But towards the ending it got a bit slower again (Not too slow) but there were little things that bothered me – For example that she named her child Tyler. No offense, I am sure I don’t know that much about these two people, but I don’t think relationships last forever when you’re 15. So I personally would have been more careful with name choosing…

Hannah, the main character (Well, one of two, but she felt more like a main character than Aaron), likes to party, drink and flirt. A lot. So it is quite shocking how much of a character development she went through. When the story began she was friends with Katie, who was actually really mean to her and made out with two boys at the same time. I assumed she would consider an abortion but she didn’t even think about it. The whole subject was just a bit left out. She didn’t want to and that’s it. I was a bit disappointed because of that, considering I had high hopes. A lot of reviews said this book was sharp which I’m not sure of. Yes, it was interesting and a bit critical. But sharp? Naah.

Coming back to the characters there also is Aaron, the other main character. He seemed a bit paper-like to me. He was sad and angry at himself and he was sort of nice to everyone, very polite and polished. It just seemed fake a lot of the time (Which it also was) and that annoyed me. I don’t like polished people. The rest of the characters were really real and fun to read about, some of them might have been a bit exaggerated but that’s completely fine.


All in all I would definitely recommend this book. It’s funny, it’s fast paced and the characters are lovable.

No comments:

Post a Comment