Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Review: Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins


My rating: 4.5/5 stars
Original language:  English
Series: Anna and the French Kiss #3
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Published: August 14th 2014 by Usborne Publishing
Pages: 375 (paperback)
Source: purchased

Content: The café is boiling. The atmosphere is clouded with bittersweet coffee. 
Three years of desire rip through my body and burst from my lips: “Josh!”
His head jolts up. For a long time, a very long time, he just stares at me. 
And then…he blinks. “Isla?”

Hopeless romantic Isla has had a crush on brooding artist Josh since their first year at the School of America in Paris. And, after a chance encounter in Manhattan over the summer break, romance might be closer than Isla imagined. But as they begin their senior year back in France, Isla and Josh are forced to face uncertainty about their futures, and the very real possibility of being apart.

Set against the stunning backdrops of New York, Paris and Barcelona, this is a gorgeous, heart-wrenching and irresistible story of true love, and the perfect conclusion to Stephanie Perkins’s beloved series.

(source: Goodreads)


My Thoughts
Isla and the Happily Ever After might have been one of the best finales to a trilogy I've ever read. Let's just ignore the fact that there are only very few series and trilogies I’ve actually finished.

This is a companion novel for Anna and the French Kiss (I’m going to review that one, too, but not really soon, because I will reread it, to take notes etc.), with Isla as the main character. I kind of was a fan of Isla the moment she showed up in the bathroom fight in Anna and the French Kiss. Isla is just an awesome character and she does and says all these things you would never expect from her. She can be really direct to people which completely shocked me, because I expected her to be tidy, shy, and nice to everyone and to be someone who never allows herself bad thoughts about others. She also swore a lot, which made me so happy. In some books people say “sorry” every time they swear. I’d never do that. I think it, I say it.
Her best friend is Kurt, who she has known forever. Kurt has autism and knows all about her crush on Josh. Throughout the book he develops a fascination for the underground tunnels of Paris and befriends Rashmi’s smaller brother Nikhil.

And there is Josh. I already liked him a lot as a side character in Anna and the French Kiss, so when I heard this third book would be about him to I was ready to do a flip (Strike that out, I can’t do a flip…). Josh is as shy as her and they both misunderstand a lot of things the other one does and in the beginning of the story their relationship is kind of awkward (He actually nearly broke her nose while kissing). Josh is this super talented artist and he’s drawing his own graphic novel called “boarding school boy” about his own life at SOAP. They both like reading comics and graphic novels and talked about Joann Sfar. Who? Yes, that’s what I thought, too. Then I researched him and realised that he’s the one who drew “Le Petit Prince” as a graphic novel. I once saw it in a library and thought “Ugh, I’ll never read that!” Well, maybe I was wrong...

Together they went to Barcelona and all the places there were described so beautifully that I felt as if I had just been there. That was the cute part of their relationship. The following part made me want to bang my head against something. Isla took every chance she could to break off a fight with him and they argued more and more and it made me really sad because they were both really in love with each other. But it was okay, because they argued in a well written way.

They meet St Clair and Anna, Lola and Cricket and Meredith again in the end and I think this is one of the reasons why this is such a great round up - because it actually did round the whole story up.

So all in all this was a very fresh, entertaining fast read with adorable characters.

PS: (This is kind of a spoiler.^^) There is going to be a Happily Ever After.

No comments:

Post a Comment