Wednesday, November 5, 2014

OCTOBER WRAP UP

Well, it's already 5th of November but who cares? It's my October wrap up!


Read

Where She Went by Gayle Forman:

"It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future-and each other."

(summary from Goodreads)

Definitely 5/5 stars. This book is so awesome. Surprisingly didn't make me cry (Umm, I was a complete wreck after watching If I Stay with my best friend) but I kept mentally shouting at the characters, because... ugh! Spoilers! Damn it! Just go read it and come back and we can shout together.

Anna and the French Kiss by Gayle Forman:

"Can Anna find love in the City of Light?

Anna is happy in Atlanta. She has a loyal best friend and a crush on her coworker at the movie theater, who is just starting to return her affection. So she's less than thrilled when her father decides to send her to a boarding school in Paris for her senior year.

But despite not speaking a word of French, Anna meets some cool new people, including the handsome Étienne St. Clair, who quickly becomes her best friend. Unfortunately, he's taken —and Anna might be, too. Will a year of romantic near misses end with the French kiss she's waiting for?"
(summary from Goodreads)

I'm pretty sure you've heard about this one, because almost every book blogger I know is at least a bit in love with this. And like with Where She Went: Review to come. Not like Where She Went: I did cry. Just a little bit. But they are just so cute...

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout:

"Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something... unexpected happens.
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don't kill him first, that is."
(summary from Goodreads)

Really funny book. And it's also an absolutely fast read - I stayed up until three in the morning to finish this on my father's iPad (I don't have a tablet or ereader on my own) because I found out in the evening that it was on ibooks for free. Maybe it still is. If you haven't read it yet you should check. It's good.


Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins:

"Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn’t believe in fashion...she believes in costume. The more expressive the outfit—more sparkly, more fun, more wild—the better. But even though Lola’s style is outrageous, she’s a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, return to the neighborhood.

When Cricket—a gifted inventor—steps out from his twin sister’s shadow and back into Lola’s life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door."

(summary from Goodreads)

I definitely didn't like this as much as Anna and the French Kiss but it's still really good. I just love Stephanie Perkins's writing style and her characters. Only good characters can be as annoying as Lola. Or Max for that matter.

Im Westen Nichts Neues/All Quiet In The West by Erich Maria Remarque:

"Paul Bäumer enlisted with his classmates in the German army of World War I. Youthful, enthusiastic, they become soldiers. But despite what they have learned, they break into pieces under the first bombardment in the trenches. And as horrible war plods on year after year, Paul holds fast to a single vow: to fight against the principles of hate that meaninglessly pits young men of the same generation but different uniforms against each other --- if only he can come out of the war alive."
(summary from Goodreads)

I know a lot of people love this and the Goodreads ratings are mainly positive but I seriously hated this book. Well, maybe that's not correct. I hated reading it. It was probably as disgusting as war in real life and as detailed. I managed to read till page 119 out of 220. And I kind of read the end after I decided not to finish it. So I might do a DNF-review for this one.

Aufzeichnungen aus Jerusalem/ Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Holy City by Guy Delisle (graphic novel):

"Guy Delisle expertly lays the groundwork for a cultural road map of contemporary Jerusalem, utilizing the classic stranger in a strange land point of view that made his other books, Pyongyang, Shenzhen, and Burma Chronicles required reading for understanding what daily life is like in cities few are able to travel to. In Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City, Delisle explores the complexities of a city that represents so much to so many. He eloquently examines the impact of the conflict on the lives of people on both sides of the wall while drolly recounting the quotidian: checkpoints, traffic jams, and holidays.
 
When observing the Christian, Jewish, and Muslim populations that call Jerusalem home, Delisle’s drawn line is both sensitive and fair, assuming nothing and drawing everything. Jerusalem showcases once more Delisle’s mastery of the travelogue."

(summary from Goodreads)

I was surprised I liked it so much. Actually I was a bit sceptical before reading this but this was way better than I expected, although this had its lenght in the middle. It was also my first graphic novel ever (I decided to like graphic novels after this. ).
Zoff auf Zombie 7 by Jochen Till, Illustrated by Zapf: 3/5 stars


Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan:

"The two boys kissing are Craig and Harry. They're hoping to set the world record for the longest kiss. They're not a couple, but they used to be.

Peter and Neil are a couple. Their kisses are different. Avery and Ryan have only just met and are trying to figure out what happens next. Cooper is alone. He's not sure how he feels.

As the marathon progresses, these boys, their friends and families evaluate the changing nature of feelings, behaviour and this crazy thing called love."
(summary from Goodreads)

This was a really cute book, but the narrator's voice was a bit annoying and sometimes when it was about AIDS repetitive. I think Craig was my favorite character. He's not a morning person either (In the beginning of the book Harry wakes him up, and Craig makes a noise sounding like "muh".)

Zombicorns by John Green : 3/5 stars



Other reviews on this blog published in October:

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews: 4/5 stars

Leander sieht Maud by Nadia Marfaing: 3.5/5 stars


Constanze

No comments:

Post a Comment