Saturday, October 18, 2014

Review: My and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

(picture)

My rating: 4/5 stars
Original language:  English
Series: -
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Humor, Death, High School
Published: March 2012 by Abrams
Pages: 295 (paperback)
Source: purchased
Want to buy: Abrams - Book Depository
Goodreads



Greg wants to befriend everyone  and at the same time he doesn't want to befriend anyone. He only has  one real friend: Earl. But then his  mother makes him  spend time with  Rachel, a girl he  hasn't spoken a  word to in years and who has just been diagnosed with leukemia.


Greg's best friend Earl is really short for his age and really fast at kicking someone's head. They make movies together, starting with a cover of "Aguirre, the Wrath of God", which became their favorite movie when they were eleven. After this first movie two things were decided: 1. No one was going to see the movies because they were too bad and 2. They would be making more movies.
And then, one day, his mother comes in and tells him that Rachel, whose boyfriend he was when they were in middle school, has been diagnosed with leukemia. He doesn't really care because they aren't actually friends until his mother tells him he should spend time with her. They start hanging out and become friends again. So when Rachel stops treatment, they decide to make "Rachel the Film"  a.k.a "The Worst Film Ever Made".

My Thoughts:

I picked up this book because of Raeleen from Padfootandprongs review of it. She was talking about this book so much that I thought it would be the most amazing book ever. In the end it turned out it wasn’t. I am not saying I think it’s bad, it’s just not what I expected. I didn’t expect a book that funny and with characters that unique.

Here’s what I expected, explained on a quote (like a counter-evidence from Maths): “A wise and insightful story about love and death and growing up. It is probably going to make me cry literally the entire time.” In other words: “The Fault In Our Stars”. I don’t know about you, but it definitely made me cry literally the entire time. So when I started this book I was a bit irritated but it took me only the first three chapters or so to get into it.

After that I always read a few pages and then ran through the flat to read something to my mother which was hilarious in my eyes but apparently not in hers. Still, this book is incredibly funny and you have to snort-laugh a lot. The writing style of this book is really interesting and fitting to the content: Most of the conversations in the beginning of the book are written as if they are part of a script and a lot of lists.  But other than that the book is a bit chaotic: I couldn’t really see the plot of this book at some points, even though I think this is something realistic, it was a bit confusing and sometimes a bit boring. But I have to admit, I've never seen something like a leitmotif in my life. Some things are way more important than others, so the other things are just left out etc.

I liked the characters in this book. They all acted like real teens. I'm usually a bit annoyed by how adult the characters behave when they're supposed to be 16 or 17. 
Greg sometimes made these obviously stupid decisions and not acting like people thought he would (Sometimes in a negative way) and he was really funny without realizing it. Also I could completely understand why he tried to not make himself neither enemies nor friends. I wouldn't do that, but I understand it. At least I think I do. 
Earl was more rational and although he first seemed a bit rough he was actually a really nice person and he appeared quite thoughtful. But he somehow seemed a little scary to me...
And then there is Rachel: I think I'm a bit like her (With a lot more talking) so I could relate to her the most. 

The ending of this book was a bit too abrupt for my taste. It's not like this book didn't give me the feels, but the end was like there was going to be something after that. For example a sequel out of Earl's point of view.

So yes, I would recommend this book to everyone who likes realistic, unique stories with a lot of humor and truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment