Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Review: The Revenant by Elise Abram


Source: http://bit.ly/1oUn511
My rating: 3/5 stars
Original language: English
Series: -
Genre: Young Adult, Music, Contemporary, Romance
Published: July 10th by Black Rose Writing
Pages: 227 (ebook)
Source: Received from the author
Want to buy? Amazon 


Summary (from Goodreads):
He wears neither cape nor cowl, but Zulu is a superhero, nevertheless.
Raised from the dead as a revenant more than a hundred years ago, Zulu possesses Spiderman’s stealth, Superman’s speed, and Batman’s keen intellect. His only companion is Morgan the Seer, an old man cursed with longevity and the ability to see the future in his dreams. Zulu has spent the last century training with Morgan in order to save the people in his nightmares from certain and violent death. Branded a vigilante by the Media, Zulu must live his life in the shadows, travelling by night or in the city’s underground unless his quest demands otherwise.
Kat is an empath, someone who sees emotions as colourful auras. Relentlessly bullied by her peers, and believing her life amounts to nothing but a huge cosmic mistake, she finds purpose in her abilities when she is recruited to help Zulu and Morgan complete their missions.

Malchus is Morgan’s long dead twin brother. A powerful necromancer, Malchus manages to find a way to return to the living, and he has a score to settle with Morgan. Believing Morgan responsible for his death and out to seek revenge, Malchus begins to raise an army of undead minions and use them to hunt Morgan down. As Malchus closes in on Morgan and his charges, the trio soon realizes the people most in need of saving are themselves.

My Review:
I think I would've liked this way better if it weren't about zombies. That was one of the main things I discovered while reading the Revenant: Apparently I'm not much of a fan of zombies.

To begin with the characters were quite interesting but a lot of things were left open, which annoyed me a bit because I would've liked to get to know them better but that didn't really happen. And the point of view changed often, so the moment I thought I got the scene everything changed. Although this was a really good thing sometimes because it made the book interesting.

The language was kind of hard to get into as well. Even though I am a teenager, I'm neither American nor  Canadian teenager so I got as confused as Zulu when it came to some of these expressions.

Also: Who was the protagonist? Was it Zulu or the Dappleford twins? I didn't notice that Zulu had more chapters out of his point of view than the others (Well, perhaps more than Father Paul). But don't get me wrong - This is not a bad thing. It was good because it wasn't only about one character and the others were obviously his sidekicks or something. 
But still I couldn't associate with Zulu - I'm neither selfless nor superhero-obsessed. I think I got to know a lot of the superheros better without even watching the movies.
Speaking of movies: I think the Revenant would be a really cool, funny movie. It's just not my type of book.

Rating: 3 / 5 Stars



PS: Have a look at my ebook:
yep. I don't own an ebook-reader... Printed it.

PPS: What do you think of my first book review? I know it still has to improve a lot but is there a better way to improve than to practice?

No comments:

Post a Comment